Last Tuesday, I was proud to give a presentation on digital word of mouth, at the Russian interactive marketing conference, Be Interactive. The event was organized by the PRP Group and 360d– sister companies to the GolinHarris’ affiliate Comunica. Distinguished speakers including Interactive Advertising Bureau’s President & CEO Randall Rothenberg, Agency.com’s founder and CEO Chan Suh, Avenue A/Razorfish’s Europe President Darin Brown, AKQA’s Director of Strategy Craig Walmsley, entrepreneur and MS Sequel’s Digital Business Services Creator Bradley Starr presented their views and best practices in engaging audiences online.
- Russia comes third (29 million people) in the number of Internet users in Europe, following the UK and Germany.
- There are 280 million Russian speakers around the world; 142 million of them are in Russia.
- 10.5 million households will be on broadband by the end of 2008. Yet competition is leading to massive infrastructure development. In 5 years, hundreds of Russian cities will come online with FTTB (fiber to the building), providing citizens with faster Internet access than current technologies.
- The average Russian Internet user is spending 1-2 hours/day on social networking sites (mostly accessing from work.)
- Thirty percent of the Russian Internet audience is playing online games, engaging for 30-40 minutes at a time.